In this lesson plan, adaptable for grades K-3, students watch the BrainPOP movie Engineering and Design Process and discover that engineering is an area of science that explores designing, building, and improving things to solve problems and that engineers do this by brainstorming ideas, making a plan, and testing and improving their designs. Then they will collaborate to design a paper cup telephone.
- Review the steps of the engineering and design process
- Brainstorm solutions for a paper cup telephone and select one
- Make a paper cup telephone and test it (improve the design if necessary)
- Share their paper cup telephones
- Internet access for BrainPOP Jr.
- Interactive whiteboard
- Paper cups of different weights and sizes
- String of different lengths and thickness
- Paper clips
- Ask students what they think of when they hear the word engineering or engineer. Jot their ideas on the whiteboard. Briefly explain that